Northern Mom

You'll find topics of all kinds I'm sure! I only wish that I had more time to devote to blogging. Maybe some day when Jo is a little older I'll be able to do daily entries....maybe

The WeatherPixie
Some Favourite Blogs
  • Postcards from the Mothership
  • Blog Pourri
  • The Emma Report
  • Life is good...at the beach
  • Hanging in there
  • Silver Creek Musings
  • the thinking square
  • So Close
  • The Infertile Turtle
  • Ordinary Stuff
  • Molly Misadventure
  • a peek inside the fish bowl
  • All The Blogs I Read
    Knitting Links
    Learn to Make it
  • Top Secret Recipes
  • Recipe Goldmine
  • Epicurious.com
  • Friday, June 16, 2006
    All about Krazzy K
    I hopped on over to Ordinary Stuff and am truly delighted that Krazy K is going to spend the summer with us. What I'm not pleased with is her sister.

    "L" used to be the sweetest and caring person. "K" on the other hand had to have her clothes just so, her hair had to be perfect and if things didn't go her way she stomped off mad as he!!. "L" was so easy going.

    Here's the history of how K and L came into my life.

    My sister had moved home from Ottawa and was pregnant with my nephew. She answered an add for a couple needing day care in their home and she started when L was just 2 and K was 4. When my nephew was born, I stepped in and watched the girls while my sister was adjusting to motherhood. One day my sister called almost in tears. Her husband was being transferred 5 hours from here and they would be moving. Long story short....I stayed on until L was 4 and starting school and K was headed into grade 1.

    It was a wonderful time. Even after they were both in school we kept in touch, had visits, had sleep overs we still had lots of fun. I took them to get their ears pieced, taught then to swim, ride a bike without training wheels and the list goes on. I used to got paid to watch them all week and then I'd take them for free on the weekends. We spent so much time together and all of it was great! As the girls got older, they were busy with friends and music lessons and with Hubby and I working there just wasn't as much time.

    Fast forward to when Jo was born. The girls were here all the time and then when I started working again and needed weekend sitters so K and L alternated weekends. In the beginning L was great. I never expected them to do any housework aside from picking up after themselves and Jo. Things were going great and then L started to slack off. I would come home and L would be sitting on the couch, the sink piled with dishes and toys everywhere. Jo was always dressed in her "Label" clothes. Here is when I really saw changes.

    L has become very snobbish in so many ways. She has changed from a carefree little girl into a young woman headed for trouble. The clothes have to have the right label, the hair and make up have to be perfect and don't dare have any kind of physical abnormality. I find it very sad. It doesn't matter that we are leaving in 15 minutes to go somewhere. If L thinks that her hair needs to be fixed and it's going to take longer then the entire world should stop for her and leave when she is ready. It's all about personal appearance. She never used to be like this. One day we were going to visit my mom and L dressed herself. She had on black leggings, a blue and white polka dot skirt with a plaid top and had necklaces on too. She thought she looked just great and she did! That has all changed.

    Now for K......
    She was and always will be her age going on 40. At 4 she would come to me with a blank paper and ask me to put some addition questions on it. She would run off to her corner and come back to see how many she got right. Her hair had to be parted just so, and if her pig tails or braids weren't quite even...Look out. She was a drama queen and could make a production out of just about anything. She liked her toast cut in fingers as opposed to triangles. Try and make a child eat toast that wasn't cut just right. Over the years K has matured and is a natural kind of chick. Make up is great, but if she isn't wearing it, then thats ok too. She goes above and beyond what most 14 year olds do. I don't have to ask or nag and most times have to make her stop. She is hands on with Jo. She gets down on her level and plays like an almost 3 year old does. She shows respect and I wouldn't question leaving her overnight with Jo.

    I feel badly that the 2 sisters aren't close. My sister and I are 7 years apart and we didn't have a closeness growing up because of the age difference and have gone through some major battles over the years, but now are "Sisters by chance and Friends by choice". I can only hope that one day they will become the friends that they once were. Being only 20 months apart they did everything just about the same when they were little. Maybe as time goes on and the maturity level grows maybe their relationship will grow too.

    At times I feel badly that K goes on the road trips with us and I have her over more, but I have enough trouble picking up after myself that I don't need to pick up after L too. At first I felt bad that I wasn't treating them fairly, but then realized that I wasn't being treated fairly either. With any luck maybe L will realize that there is more to life than clothes, beauty and her.

    Krazzy K will always be my first born and I will love her and her sister forever and for always.
    Maybe one of these days I'll scan some pics of both of them from over the years!
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
    posted by Northern Mom @ 10:19 p.m.  
    3 Comments:
    • At 3:02 p.m., Blogger Silver Creek Mom said…

      OH How they change. And they will change again. I'm sure they will become closer in time and I'm Sure L will change too.

      Great post about sisters though.

       
    • At 7:16 p.m., Blogger twinmomplusone said…

      waht an awesome relationship you have with these girls and amazing how they change growing up. Sounds like K has her sh*t together whereas L is searching for something and most probably ahs esteem issues, just my two cents worth.

      Don't have a sister, of course always wanted one. I keep wishing for my two girsl to stay close for years to come too.

       
    • At 8:13 a.m., Blogger BeachMama said…

      I can relate and not relate. I have my three sisters. My older sister is 2 years older than me and we can be the best of friends and the worst of friends, but no matter what we are always close and move past the bad parts. Then, there are my two younger sisters, one 7 years and the other 14 years younger.

      I hang out almost every day with my next younger sister. I sometims forget that there are 7 years difference and people often ask who is older :). We have had maybe one disagreement that I can remember, in our life.

      My youngest sister and I have been mistaken for twins (YAY again for me) we have a great time and again never have a disagreement. Sadly, she lives in North Carolina an none of my pleading will make her move back ;).

      Your love for the two of them is amazing and hopefully L understands why you don't have her over as much anymore. And hopefully one day she will return to her former self and realize that there is more to life than clothes :)

       
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: Northern Mom
    Home: Northern Ontario, Canada
    About Me: There isn't too much to tell. I'm Mommy to Jo, wife to Hubby. I'm the oldest of 3 siblings and 4 step siblings, Auntie to a whole bunch of kids and Great Auntie to a few as well! I'm back to working 9-5 with no weekends or nights so keeping up with everything is a challenge!
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    Links
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER