Northern Mom

You'll find topics of all kinds I'm sure! I only wish that I had more time to devote to blogging. Maybe some day when Jo is a little older I'll be able to do daily entries....maybe

The WeatherPixie
Some Favourite Blogs
  • Postcards from the Mothership
  • Blog Pourri
  • The Emma Report
  • Life is good...at the beach
  • Hanging in there
  • Silver Creek Musings
  • the thinking square
  • So Close
  • The Infertile Turtle
  • Ordinary Stuff
  • Molly Misadventure
  • a peek inside the fish bowl
  • All The Blogs I Read
    Knitting Links
    Learn to Make it
  • Top Secret Recipes
  • Recipe Goldmine
  • Epicurious.com
  • Wednesday, May 03, 2006
    The Willful Child
    We have been trying to raise Jo to be independent. With that said, it has come back to bite me in the ass. It also doesn't help that she has her birth mother's temper at times too. That in itself is a whole new blog!

    Tonight I had to leave the room for fear I was going to hurt her. All I wanted her to do was put on another pair of panites and shorts. She spilled chocolate milk all over the ones she was wearing(the third pair of the day). She started to pitch a fit and I forcefully put the clothes on her body and walked outside. It took me a minute or two to calm down and when I came back inside she was in better humour too.

    Mornings have become a nightmare. She doesn't want to get dressed, get her hair combed or brush her teeth. It has gotten to the point of bribery to get anything done. Chocolate eggs go a long way when trying to get out the door on time. I just hate the idea of chocolate after breakfast in the morning.

    I've tried letting her pick her clothes, toothbrush....I'm at a loss and have put a toothbrush and toothpaste in her bag so she can brush her teeth at daycare. It takes 2 of us to give her teeth a good brush once a day. I caught one of those nanny shows where the nanny told the mom to let her child go to school in her pajamas, and it only took a few mornings without proper clothes and messy hair for the child to get her act together. I fear that this won't work. Jo is one stubborn child and I know for a fact that she'd get a kick out of going to Laurie's in her pj's.

    I'm tired..and need ideas...

    Help
    posted by Northern Mom @ 9:01 p.m.  
    9 Comments:
    • At 9:19 p.m., Blogger Molly Sue said…

      I found you as I random blogged. I am so glad there are Mommies out there who wonder about everyday events with their children.

      I can't offer much, but I can offer this, give her choices. It might work. For example, you can brush your teeth or I will. You can wear this or this. If you can't make the choice I will make it for you.

      Hang in there, I have similar experiences. Mine are just older.

       
    • At 12:08 a.m., Blogger nancy said…

      If ONLY I had answers for you...if only. Till then, will a hug help??

       
    • At 7:22 a.m., Blogger BeachMama said…

      Can't help you with the clothing thing, J is very good at either picking something quickly or letting me do it for him.

      As for the teeth, nancy mentioned light up toothbrushes at Halloween. They saved us, and my sisters and soon to be my sister in law. We pick them up at Dollarama. They have a flashing red light in them and depending on the coulour of the brush you get a fun pattern in the bathroom. We also sing the brush your teeth song, I knew many years ago. And it works for us!

       
    • At 9:20 a.m., Blogger Good Things I Find said…

      I have a daughter like yours!! She is now 8 and is better about dressing and her teeth but we still have very interesting mornings. She hates to brush her hair. I discuss the problems with her at a different time of day, not at bedtime or morning. Sometimes when we are out for a walk or in the car.

       
    • At 2:47 p.m., Blogger DaniGirl said…

      For teeth-brushing, Beloved's idea is to describe the trip that the train (toothbrush) is taking - over the mountains, through the valley, to the town, etc. Or sometimes, the monkey visits the zoo. Or Spiderman visits the city. Or whatever. It generally works. Also, we let them have a 'turn' and then we do the rest. Works *most* of the time.

      For clothes - well, there's always the 'so what if she goes to daycare in her jammies' option. Or, "I'll bet you can't get dressed before I count to ten. You'll never do it!" (Tristan is like me. Never tell him he can't do something!) Admittedly, at 2.5 this will probably be easier for undressing than dressing. Or try to make a game out of it.

      I'm all talk - great ideas, all of them, but we often have the same struggles, and I know Beloved has a lot of "leave the room" moments.

      Hugs - it does get easier, just about the time they move out!!

       
    • At 3:32 p.m., Blogger Krazzy K said…

      Yah, I don't have a Kid. But I babysitt one that has the same problems:P. A lot of these good ideas work SOMETIMES. But, there is always that wish that you could find something that works all the time. It's probably just a phase. HOPEFULLY anyways.

       
    • At 7:05 p.m., Blogger nancy said…

      LMAO @ krazzy k!!!

       
    • At 10:28 a.m., Blogger twinmomplusone said…

      Oh, mornings, quite chaotic around here too, lots of yelling and urging and arguing. Twins aren't too bad at getting dressed, I tell them how warm/cold its going to be, they pretty much pick their clothes (limited to a few faves worn over and over) and I help them get dressed. Big sis on teh other hand was more a handful at that age and we'd pick her clothes the night before and lay them out so that wasn't anynore an issue in teh morning.

      As for tooth brushing, got some great advice already, sing a song, get one of those battery operated toothbrushes (she can pick one herself at the pharmacy). Set up a calendar on the fridge and create a sticker system for getting dressed and brushing teeth on time in the morning with a reward at the end of a week.

      As for those moments when they really get to you, don't forget to breathe...deep breath, long breath out! A few times if needed. Walking out of the room often an option here. Pick your battles and stick to your guns.

      good luck

       
    • At 8:26 a.m., Blogger Silver Creek Mom said…

      NO answers...Same problem here when we go out. SIGH...How about a hug?

       
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: Northern Mom
    Home: Northern Ontario, Canada
    About Me: There isn't too much to tell. I'm Mommy to Jo, wife to Hubby. I'm the oldest of 3 siblings and 4 step siblings, Auntie to a whole bunch of kids and Great Auntie to a few as well! I'm back to working 9-5 with no weekends or nights so keeping up with everything is a challenge!
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    Links
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER