Northern Mom

You'll find topics of all kinds I'm sure! I only wish that I had more time to devote to blogging. Maybe some day when Jo is a little older I'll be able to do daily entries....maybe

The WeatherPixie
Some Favourite Blogs
  • Postcards from the Mothership
  • Blog Pourri
  • The Emma Report
  • Life is good...at the beach
  • Hanging in there
  • Silver Creek Musings
  • the thinking square
  • So Close
  • The Infertile Turtle
  • Ordinary Stuff
  • Molly Misadventure
  • a peek inside the fish bowl
  • All The Blogs I Read
    Knitting Links
    Learn to Make it
  • Top Secret Recipes
  • Recipe Goldmine
  • Epicurious.com
  • Wednesday, August 09, 2006
    Long Weekend in Review....and some other Odds and Ends
    It was a great long weekend! We were out of the city by 6 and had the trailer set up and ready to sleep in by about 930 on Friday night. It was a little more expensive(ok..lots) for the gas to get there, and it only took about a half hour longer to get there but it was soooo worth it! Did I mention we paid 119.9 cents a litre for gas on Manitoulin Island. We had sleep overs almost every night and it was a quiet and familiar spot for Jo to have a good nap in the afternoon. The kids loved the big beds at the ends and MJ loved the fact that she could close her curtain when she was sleeping. There is more than enough room! We finally figured out how the hot water tank fills and works. We didn't really need it, but now we know. Not a whole lot moved in the trailer while we were travelling. The oven works great and Hubby just needs to show me how to light it. We have ample storage and in the wardrobe I bought a clear plastic storage unit similar to the one in the link for Jo's stuff and the small clothes and other stuff that we need. It worked out great. The space in the fridge and freezer is more than enough and the beds are comfy enough that we aren't hobbling around with sore backs in the morning. We are learning about what we need and don't need and over the winter we will pick up permanent stuff to leave in there so we don't have to take as much from the house each time we go. Pack our clothes, stock the fridge and off we go.

    Jo was a trooper all weekend and played great with all the kids. Last year I did nothing but chase her everywhere. What a difference a year makes! We had great food, great visits, camp fires, beer....about 15 drops of rain and lots of relaxing. Jo had her first baseball game. She didnt' so much play as she watched and played with the glove and ball. Maybe next year she'll want to give it a whirl.

    I spent afternoons while Jo was napping reading Memoirs of a Geisha on the deck just above the shore of the lake. This is one of my favourite places to be.


    Jo was a real ham for the camera!

    Aren't sparklers a wonderful thing! This is my favourite picture this week! I only wish I had her entire face framed.


    A dear friend, BeachMama suffered a rupured Ectopic Pregancy last week. It's an awful thing to go through, but sounds like she is recovering well and has some great support to help her through all of this. Reading her story has brought back some memories. While I was married the first time, I suffered 2 of them within 6 months of each other. Neither of mine ruptured and the 2nd one I had no pain at all. At 4 weeks along for the first one I had the most awful pain. I couldn't get comfortable and nothing helped. I called my OB's office and was told to get to the emerg as quickly as I could. The tests confrimed that I was pregnant and that they were going to do some exploratory surgery to see what was causing the pain. The next thing I knew was hurting and alone in a hospital bed in the middle of the night. I didn't get any info about what had happened until the next morning. The Dr told me that even with only my left tube I would have at least a 75% chance of conceiving again. Little did I know that in the next six months I would again get pregnant, but at 8 weeks have another ectopic pregnancy. No pain this time, just surgery. Unlike BeachMama's surgery I have the full battle scars. A week in the hospital and many more recuperating at home. I was 24 years old and any chance I had of conceiving again were impossible without some intervention. While I was in pre-op waiting for my turn for the 2nd surgery the nurse and I got to chatting. She thought I looke familiar and she pulled my file. It seems that she sedated me 3 times after the first surgery before I was calm enough to go back to my room. I really thought that I had been having some very real dreams, but it turns out they were true. My heart goes out to BeachMama and I'm glad that there is a silver lining to her cloud. IVF is now an option for her. Not a perfect solution but.....it does work!

    I have a sick child tonight. She threw up twice at daycare today and twice here at home tonight. This is the part of being a working mom that I don't like. We are only 3 in the office at work and with vacations we are down to just 2 of us. There is no way I can take tomorrow off. I know that it would be understood, but I just can't do that to our office manager. Krazzy K is coming for tomorrow and I am only 5 minutes away so if she needs me I can come home.

    Hubby's sister in law called a few weeks ago. They had been here for the weekend and on their way home they saw Jo's birthmom and her 4 kids. She was almost in tears telling us how lucky we are and how lucky Jo is. She said the kids have no manners and listen to nothing. It felt really good to know that we're doing a good job raising Jo.

    On Tuesday at work this arrived. Silvercreek Mom will be happy to see that I finally got one. Every year we have a girls weekend and every year I email her with all my info about my Pacemaker with contact numbers that sort of thing. Now I don't have to worry about it anymore. The bracelet is on and will stay on with no worries. I probably paid entirely too much for a gold one. But if I have to wear it all the time it might as well be one that I like!

    I've been thinking alot about my upcoming surgery. With today being what I hope to be my last or 2nd last visit from AF we are coming down to the wire. The emotions are starting to surface. Some of them excitement knowing that I don't have to pack "supplies" everytime we go somewhere but it turns to sadness quickly knowing that I will never give birth. I know that I will never have the chance to do IVF again and that an oops is just not an option. But there will be finality to any thoughts of reproduction. Bittersweet is the one word that I can describe how I feel.

    I talked to Nana tonight and she sounds so much better than when I last saw her in June. We are heading to her place for Labour Day weekend and taking the Friday prior to make it a little bit longer too. I am hoping to get into Ottawa on either Saturday or Sunday to do some visiting and maybe some shopping(at least Ikea). We are hauling the trailer and I think that my brother might make the trip with us too. It should be a great weekend!

    I'm sure I have a few other bloggy ideas rattling around in my head....but I should go and try and get some sleep in case Jo is up through the night....That and I should pop over to see Dani and list my favourite highway tunes

    posted by Northern Mom @ 6:02 p.m.  
    5 Comments:
    • At 10:36 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

      Hey long time no chat. I'm glad to hear your enjoying your RV. We've only gone once so far this summer. Stuff keeps coming up. great blog. Just dropping in to say "HI".

      Donna

       
    • At 11:52 p.m., Blogger twinmomplusone said…

      loved seeing you relaxing on that deck, exactly what you deserved!and happy to her you are enjoying your RV

      did you like Memoirs?

      hoping to see you in Ottawa in September

      take care

       
    • At 9:15 a.m., Blogger Good Things I Find said…

      I think August is the perfect month to read a book. I loved Memoirs of a Geisha.

       
    • At 8:59 a.m., Blogger BeachMama said…

      You look far too comfy, relaxing on the deck. Your first long weekend camping sounds like it went off without a hitch. It must be nice to be able to bring your rrom with you whereever you go. Although with gas at 1.19, you may pick your trips carefully.

      Thanks for sharing your story, I did remember it when I was going through my ordeal. All is going well, I have one stitch that refuses to heal, but the Dr. couldn't have known it was right on my crease where I bend and stretch. I will be going in on Thurs to get the ball rolling for IVF.

      I know several people who have gone through the same surgery that you are going to have. And no matter if you are finished having children or not, it is still difficult to part with such important organs. As a matter of fact Dr.L, at the clinic, told me his wife was devistated to lose an ovary last year and they have been through having kids for quite a few years. He said it really helped him understand what a lot of the women he sees go through. I now know why he has been such a nicer man this past year.

      Hopefully will see you on the long weekend. If we get back in time.

       
    • At 7:57 p.m., Blogger Silver Creek Mom said…

      You look too comfie.

      Nice Bracelet and yes it is about time.

       
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: Northern Mom
    Home: Northern Ontario, Canada
    About Me: There isn't too much to tell. I'm Mommy to Jo, wife to Hubby. I'm the oldest of 3 siblings and 4 step siblings, Auntie to a whole bunch of kids and Great Auntie to a few as well! I'm back to working 9-5 with no weekends or nights so keeping up with everything is a challenge!
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    Links
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER