Northern Mom

You'll find topics of all kinds I'm sure! I only wish that I had more time to devote to blogging. Maybe some day when Jo is a little older I'll be able to do daily entries....maybe

The WeatherPixie
Some Favourite Blogs
  • Postcards from the Mothership
  • Blog Pourri
  • The Emma Report
  • Life is good...at the beach
  • Hanging in there
  • Silver Creek Musings
  • the thinking square
  • So Close
  • The Infertile Turtle
  • Ordinary Stuff
  • Molly Misadventure
  • a peek inside the fish bowl
  • All The Blogs I Read
    Knitting Links
    Learn to Make it
  • Top Secret Recipes
  • Recipe Goldmine
  • Epicurious.com
  • Tuesday, September 04, 2007
    Mommy, Was I in Your Tummy?
    I was really hoping that this question would wait until Jo was 8, 9 maybe even 30. It came the night before we put the dog down. Great timing.

    Here's how the conversation went

    Jo: Mommy was I in your Tummy?
    Me: No sweetie you weren't
    Jo: Why not?
    Me:Because my tummy was broken
    Jo:Why didn't the Doctor fix it
    Me:I don't know, he tried
    Jo:What was wrong with it
    Me: I'm not sure
    Jo:So, whose tummy was I in?
    (this is where I really start to squirm)
    Me:There was a very special lady that knew we wanted a baby girl. She had a baby girl in her tummy and when you were born she gave you to us at the hospital.
    Jo:Mom, can we talk about this? (her arms are crossed and she's looking very serious)
    Me:Sure we can talk about this
    Jo:Why couldn't the Doctor fix your tummy?
    Me:I really don't know

    That was it, she took off to play with some of her toys and has only asked a few more questions.
    I went to Chapters and picked up Tell Me Again About the Night I Was Born which was written by Jamie Lee Curtis. It's a great way to try and explain it.

    She's mentioned the Special Lady once or twice since then, but is more concerned that my tummy is broken more than anything else.


    posted by Northern Mom @ 10:34 p.m.  
    5 Comments:
    • At 1:36 p.m., Blogger Silver Creek Mom said…

      Aww that's so sweet. You can fill her in as a need to know bases. Just to simple answers and it will never bee a shock to her. WELL In my uneducated opinion.

       
    • At 2:51 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

      Oy! And I thought the "if I was in your tummy, how did I get out?" conversation with Tristan last week was complicated!

      I agree with Sharon, honesty filtered in bits and pieces is probably your best approach. Funny how they get fixated on your "boo boos", isn't it?

       
    • At 10:40 a.m., Blogger Unknown said…

      Oh...wow. Well, you handled the situation really well. I think it is so sweet how Jo was more concerned with you and your tummy than anything else.

      So sorry you guys had to put your dog down :( Hugs xo

       
    • At 8:33 p.m., Blogger BeachMama said…

      I know that the question was bound to come up, but I feel a little responsible as she was gingerly patting my belly only days before. I think you answered very well and all these types of questions are hard. J has asked twice now how the baby got out of my belly (once before she arrived and once after). I really don't want to share that right now so I told him it was a Big Boy secret and one day he would find out all the details.

      I have heard of Jamie Lee Curtis' book and that is is quite good. Hope it helps Jo out.

       
    • At 1:53 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

      Hi,

      I'm Alisha from Wowzio, and I'm excited to tell you about our new widget platform that helps bloggers increase readership by providing engaging widgets containing your blog's rich content. You can check out widgets customized for your blog here:

      Wowzio Widgets for your Blog

      I wanted to reach out to you to ask for your feedback on these widgets (feel free to install them on your blog, if you feel they are a good fit). I'm sorry for leaving this message via a comment, it's not at all our intent to spam you ( which is why i'm leaving this comment on an older post and you can always remove this comment ). Again, we would love to hear your feedback.

      Thanks,
      Alisha Wright
      alisha.wright1@gmail.com

       
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: Northern Mom
    Home: Northern Ontario, Canada
    About Me: There isn't too much to tell. I'm Mommy to Jo, wife to Hubby. I'm the oldest of 3 siblings and 4 step siblings, Auntie to a whole bunch of kids and Great Auntie to a few as well! I'm back to working 9-5 with no weekends or nights so keeping up with everything is a challenge!
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    Links
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER