Northern Mom

You'll find topics of all kinds I'm sure! I only wish that I had more time to devote to blogging. Maybe some day when Jo is a little older I'll be able to do daily entries....maybe

The WeatherPixie
Some Favourite Blogs
  • Postcards from the Mothership
  • Blog Pourri
  • The Emma Report
  • Life is good...at the beach
  • Hanging in there
  • Silver Creek Musings
  • the thinking square
  • So Close
  • The Infertile Turtle
  • Ordinary Stuff
  • Molly Misadventure
  • a peek inside the fish bowl
  • All The Blogs I Read
    Knitting Links
    Learn to Make it
  • Top Secret Recipes
  • Recipe Goldmine
  • Epicurious.com
  • Sunday, April 01, 2007
    Weekend Excitement.....Not the Good Kind

    Saturday started like any regular Saturday. Jo went bowling and scored 69! She is getting better all the time and she is hilarious to watch even when all 3 balls go into the gutter...

    I dropped Jo and K off and did a few little errands and then came home for some relax time during Jo's nap. We were supposed to go to her cousin's 1st birthday party after nap time, we didn't get there....

    Around 11:30 Jo decided she wanted one of her babies and headed off for the basement to get one. The next thing we heard was thump, thump, thump followed by her screaming. I rushed down and K followed with an icepack to put on her eye where she had scraped it on the carpet during the tumbling. I carried her upstairs and we cuddled a little bit in the living room, she stopped crying and decided it was time for a nap. Her and I went to lay down and when I thought she was asleep I tried to sneak away. She started crying again and I went back in to check on her and she says "Mommy, I can't see" and repeated this so I figured it was just because the bedroom was dark. I ran across the hall into her room where the blind was open and really bright and I asked her to look at me and she looked everywhere, but couldn't see me and she was in my arms. I called 911 and while on with 911 she started throwing up. I was told to wrap her up and keep her cozy and quiet until the ambulance arrived. K got on the phone to find Hubby and he all but flew home when he heard the ambulance was on the way. The next thing I know there are 3 paramedics in my kitchen and Jo is hysterical. Hubby came flying into the house and of course I lost it as soon as I saw him, K was crying and so was Jo. We got into the ambulance, hubby in the back with 2 of the paramedics and me in the front with the driver. I felt so helpless. I could hear Jo screaming in the back that she wanted off, she wanted to sit up. They had her strapped to a backboard, had a Cervical Collar on and her head was immobilized too. We got to the hospital and they wasted little time getting her into a triage room and between the nurses and the paramedics, got her all hooked up for monitoring. I had called my mom to meet me there and went to find her. At this point, Jo still couldn't see very well and was really disoriented. A security guard came in to tell us that there were grandparents in the waiting room and my mom went out and got Jo's Papa and Gramma. Everyone was trying to get her to look at them and we'd ask, where's mommy and Jo would point in the complete opposite direction and here eyes just wouldn't focus or even move in the direction we wanted her to be looking.

    The Dr came in and did a quick assessment, took her off the backboard, but kept the collar on. He told us she was going to have CT Scan and Neck X-rays and told us not to worry, and to let her sleep. We were all trying to keep her awake. She slept for about 10 minutes, woke up, threw up and looked at my mom and said, "Nanny, I can see, Nanny I can see you!" She was a real trooper after that and stayed still for the CT Scan and X rays. The Dr came back in to see us and said that everything looked perfect and took the collar off. He wanted her to move her head around a bit and she refused, so he tickled her a bit and sent us home asking us to keep her quiet for a few days and that with a concussion she could still have headaches and maybe vomit some more. She fell asleep on hubby while we were waiting for our neighbour to come and get us with our truck and stayed asleep for the ride home and for about an hour after we got her into bed. She woke up, asked for a bun with butter and wanted to go outside. We went for a walk, visited some of the neighbours so they could see that she was ok and then she played in the back yard until almost 8! She had a bath and giggled when we took her shirt off, because she still had her hospital stickers on from the heart moniter.

    She is no worse for the wear and I am amazed at how quickly she bounced back. The bruise on her chin is from the wipe out on Thursday night and you can see the scrapes on her eye from the fall down the stairs. Today she complained once that her head hurt but was her happy self most of the day. We did go to to see her cousin and take her presents to her, but stayed quiet the rest of the day.

    She is going to daycare tomorrow, but we will both be checking in on her and one of us will come home if we think she needs us. Her sitter knows to keep her settled and quiet, one of the advantages of having her in a home daycare!

    Making faces in the tub.....what a kid. You can see where the hospital stickers were too!


    Posted by Picasa
    posted by Northern Mom @ 7:34 p.m.  
    4 Comments:
    • At 2:16 p.m., Blogger nancy said…

      still thinking of you all and hope she has a good day...

       
    • At 2:56 p.m., Blogger BeachMama said…

      I hope she is feeling much better. I just can't imagine what you went through, my heart is with you.

       
    • At 11:03 p.m., Blogger twinmomplusone said…

      hope you NEVER have to go through an ordeal like this again

      it could have been so much worse

      hugs to you all

       
    • At 7:00 p.m., Blogger Unknown said…

      Oh, my goodness! That must have been scary for all of you! Poor thing! My heart sunk as I was reading your post! Well, kids do get their fair share of bumps, cuts and scratches, don't they? Glad she is okay :) What a trooper!

       
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: Northern Mom
    Home: Northern Ontario, Canada
    About Me: There isn't too much to tell. I'm Mommy to Jo, wife to Hubby. I'm the oldest of 3 siblings and 4 step siblings, Auntie to a whole bunch of kids and Great Auntie to a few as well! I'm back to working 9-5 with no weekends or nights so keeping up with everything is a challenge!
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    Links
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER