Northern Mom

You'll find topics of all kinds I'm sure! I only wish that I had more time to devote to blogging. Maybe some day when Jo is a little older I'll be able to do daily entries....maybe

The WeatherPixie
Some Favourite Blogs
  • Postcards from the Mothership
  • Blog Pourri
  • The Emma Report
  • Life is good...at the beach
  • Hanging in there
  • Silver Creek Musings
  • the thinking square
  • So Close
  • The Infertile Turtle
  • Ordinary Stuff
  • Molly Misadventure
  • a peek inside the fish bowl
  • All The Blogs I Read
    Knitting Links
    Learn to Make it
  • Top Secret Recipes
  • Recipe Goldmine
  • Epicurious.com
  • Tuesday, November 28, 2006
    November 29th, 1974
    The day my entire life changed.

    I no longer had my own room, had to share my parents with another sibling and in time had a snoop of a little sister that ratted me out a time or two but who knew that she would become a friend that I can count on for anything!

    Today is my sister's birthday. 32 years ago I became the oldest of 3 siblings. It almost seems like yesterday that I watched her stand in her crib for the first time, put my brother's Match Box cars just out of reach so my mom could come into the living room to see her creeping for the first time. We shared a room, we shared bunkbeds, tears, laughter, the love of Roller Coasters, eBay, Value Village and Ikea.

    My sister and I have endured many ups and downs, arguements, joy, happiness and some secrets too. We have shared tears, laughs, frustration...the emotions...WOW! She thought I was cool and I thought she was a pest.

    There were a lot of years where we didn't talk.
    -Maybe the 7 year age difference
    -Maybe that I didn't give a second thought to who I was hurting and only thought of myself.
    -Maybe the differences in the way we were raised
    -Maybe it was a personality clash
    -Maybe it was none of the above, or all of the above and we weren't meant to be friends until we were older.

    During my first two IVF cycles my sister made a 7-9 hour journey from Blind River to Calabogie to keep my company for the first parts of each cycle. She was the only one who saw my growing follicles and we joked that she was seeing her neice or nephew before anyone else(if the cycle had worked). In March she drove home in a snowstorm and in June she brought her oldest son with her. When Jo was born she made a 3 hour day trip from Midland to Sudbury to meet her niece.

    She is loving and kind, willing to help out whenever needed. She is a wonderful mom to her 2 boys and a super Auntie to Jo. We don't talk daily and sometimes don't see eachother all that often even though she lives across town. I think we saw more of each other and talked more when she was living out of town. I don't know that I will get to see her today on her birthday, but will see her soon I'm sure.

    Happiest of Birthdays Little Sister!
    If I had to choose a sister, I would have picked you!



    posted by Northern Mom @ 11:17 p.m.  
    6 Comments:
    • At 9:16 a.m., Blogger Frecklegurl said…

      What a beautiful way to start my day.....I am sitting here with tears running down my face. I couldn't have asked for a better sister. You have always been there when I've needed you and I appreciate you more than you will ever know....I love you xoxoxo

       
    • At 2:33 p.m., Blogger BeachMama said…

      That is beautiful Barb, your sister is one lucky lady to be related to you. Perfect birthday wish.

       
    • At 4:14 p.m., Blogger Unknown said…

      What a beautiful post, Barb! That's so sweet! Your sister is also lucky to have you :) I always wished I had an older sister...instead, I got stuck being the eldest child of three AND the only girl! LOL!

      Happy Birthday, Barb's sister! :)

       
    • At 8:16 p.m., Blogger nancy said…

      i am all teary eyed and i don't even know her, nor do i have a sister...you are both so blessed to have each other!

       
    • At 12:16 a.m., Blogger twinmomplusone said…

      great tribute to your little sis

       
    • At 7:49 a.m., Blogger Silver Creek Mom said…

      Happy Birthday B's SIS.

      It's great to have someone who really unnderstands you.

      Hugs

       
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: Northern Mom
    Home: Northern Ontario, Canada
    About Me: There isn't too much to tell. I'm Mommy to Jo, wife to Hubby. I'm the oldest of 3 siblings and 4 step siblings, Auntie to a whole bunch of kids and Great Auntie to a few as well! I'm back to working 9-5 with no weekends or nights so keeping up with everything is a challenge!
    See my complete profile
    Previous Post
    Archives
    Links
    Template by

    Free Blogger Templates

    BLOGGER